Saturday, November 19, 2011

Sorry I'm So Slow

A couple weeks ago I encountered an extremely confused and anxious Lani. She was wondering if she could find a room for the night.

A lot of the residents think they're on vacation and that their stay at the facility is temporary. Many of them forget they live here, and the rest remember they live here but wander continuously in search of their bedrooms.

I reassured Lani that she has a room here and that I can take her to it.
"You can? How do you know I have a room?" she asked skeptically.
"Well because I've seen it before and you'll recognize it once we get there," I said smiling at her.
"Okay...if you say so. Sorry I'm walking so slowly...I'm an old turkey."
"It's okay...you're actually walking faster than you normally do when we're together," I tell her.

What she said next was unexpected.

"That's because I feel safe with you, otherwise I wouldn't."

My heart melted.

"Well I'm so happy you feel safe with me. That's exactly the way I want you to feel when we're together," I said.
"What's your name again?"
"It's Rachel."
"Rachel...that's a beautiful name. Rachel the angel. You really are so kind, Rachel," and with that she stopped and hugged me...twice.

My heart melted again.

These are the moments that reaffirm I have found my calling.

I feel so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment