Thursday, November 17, 2011

About Me/My First Blog

Hi! Soo...my name is Rachel and I am currently living in Boston attending Simmons College for my Master's in Clinical Social Work. 


I moved here from a suburb outside of Rochester, New York and I have to say the transition has been really interesting. Moving from the suburbs to the city has been quite the wake up call but an amazing experience at the same time. 


When I first moved out here I always joked (and still do) that I had to re-learn how to cross the street. Pedestrians in the city are much more aggressive than in the suburbs. 


I am currently interning at an assisted living facility for those struggling with Dementia and  Alzheimer's Disease. The experience thus far has been incredibly daunting, life-altering, humorous, challenging, rewarding, and extremely interesting. 


A colleague of mine suggested I start a blog to share the funny/endearing stories from my internship--and trust me, I have plenty. 


Awkward experiences are a guaranteed norm each week in my internship; but so are the moments when its reaffirmed that I am in the right profession by the way my clients interact with me. 


I live for all of these moments. 

2 comments: